Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Vacationing

Vacationing is so different from working somewhere. I feel like a veil was lifted from my sight. I'm noticing and realizing things I never even saw or thought about before. Besides the academic benefits of the project I made a whole slew of friends.
It wasn't all cookies and cream, we fought like cats and dogs, the members of the team, but eventually we made up. The stress of the field got to us, and some of the members are particularly hot headed. One of them still thinks I'm in love with him. Note to self don't ever flirt with a Sudanese guy they might think you want to have their children.
Rahad was great. The townspeople were so kind to us, and helped us during our project. A couple of the middle school girls had crushes on the guys on the team. They would come by our lab/resting area every afternoon. Most of us thought it was cute but one dude that it was inappropriate. He went so far as to rudely tell them off. That was another source of bickering and arguing.
I haven't been out on the town since I came back from Rahad. I'm itching to go out and have fun with the weeks I have left. I know it'll be over before I know it. I really like living with my uncle and his family. I'm never around small children back in Virginia but here I'm surrounded by kids aged 9 months to 11 years.
Despite all the frustrations of the field, in the general state of the country and my disappointments in people, somehow I find myself wanting to ocme back next year and continuing to work in the same field.

No comments: