Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Malaria Training

Next week I'm supposed have a intensive course on malarial diagnoses at the Ministry of Health. Sudan has not only taught me patience but it has taught me the importance of connections. I came in an innocent, well more like a naive creature, and have come out some what more aware individual. I'm trying to get them to give me a leishmaniasis course on my next visit God willing.
I miss the kindness of people in Rahad. I guess its the same for any nation, country folk are simpler kinder than city folk. A lot of the schools we went to had nothing, but everytime we went they would prepare a huge meal for us. There was a lot of trust and I hope we lived up to their expectation, and were worthy of it. I hope to go back to Rahad for two days or more during this trip.
Things are heating up in Darfur. Two weeks ago the fighting breached the borders into Northern Kordofan. The fighting, killing still continues in Fasher, Western Darfur. I can't wait until the UN troops are sent, let's hope they have a wider mandate than the AU troops. Ten years ago I could say with all confidence that the Sudanese population is generally a peaceful one, and would not put up a fuss if foreign peace keepers came in. Presently I don't think there would be much opposition violent or non-violent, but there is more of a possibility today than it was a decade ago. People are becoming extreme. There's a lot of anger, most of it is the result of a corrupt, dictatorial regime, but its cleaner, feels better to blame the "West."
I'm really getting tired of skirts and scarves. I've become an expert at tying a scarf, but the skirt thing I haven't gotten down yet.Mooning here is like showing a bit of lace or undies. I fear that according to this definition I have mooned half the country. For some reason when I get up, off my seat on the bus, I always step on the hem of my skirt and pull it down a litte, you can imagine the gawking stares I receive.
I'm getting tired again of the routine I really miss the States. I'm missing doughnuts right now, and bad T.V. I know the three weeks I have left will be over before I know it, but it's just not going fast enough. I sort of missing making fecal slides, blood seems real tame compared to it.
I've been invited to a couple of weddings. I think I'll probably go, I've discovered that there are lots of cute Sudanese guys. And there is one thing the Sudanese population loves to do,flirting.

No comments: