Saturday, August 19, 2006

Kenya

Last night I met up with the gang, well the gang I grew up with in Kenya. It was the best night I had in the past three months. It was so great, so comforting, there were moments of silence where we just soaked up the nostalgia. We never went to school together but we were neighbors and our parents are best friends. We are all Sudanese and would meet up during social events.One of them still lives in Kenya and is just on vacation but the other three now live in Sudan. It was great because I was able to shed my mask to be myself because these are the people who really know me, who grew up with me, who I don't have to make excuses to about my un-Sudanese behavior.
Globalization is a great thing, it makes it easier to be connected across oceans and land masses but at the same time, it is because of globalization that people are scattered far away from their homelands.
Things are winding down and I probably will write another entry before leaving. All in all I'm very fortunate, and I thank God for this experience.

No comments: