Monday, July 31, 2006

Smelly Things

Some of my lab mates are wondering, or rather have morbid curiousity of what it is like to make fecal slides. I will satisfy their morbid curiousity. Urine slides are a piece of cake so to speak compared to fecal slides. The first time I prepared one, I was excited because that moment symbolized all the hard work I had put in planning the field. The smell didn't hit me. The second time I almost keeled over. First you give a small container about the same size and shape as urine containers you are given in the doctors office. You tell your kid to poop in the container. There is a little spoon in the container with the spoon you use it to put it in on some hard poster paper. You add some saline to soften it up, its kind of like cooking. Anyhow I won't go into the morbid details.
I have to go read some thick and thin smears now. But more details to follow.

1 comment:

Rasha said...

Suddenly I have mad respect for you.