Friday, August 25, 2006

Travels

Surprisingly I didn't cry. I imagined heartwrenching scenes, but it was a calm affair. The only time I shed a tear was when my aunt started to cry. On the day I was leaving I got henna done on both my hands, and my ankles. I met up with some friends, and I finished packing at the 11th hour.
The airport was especially busy so my uncle and my cousins had to wait outside while I checked in my luggage. I ended up paying for my overweight luggage. I know I was robbed blind by the smarmy Egyptian BA representative and his Sudanese cow associate, but at the time I just wanted to leave. I paid my exit visa, of $20.00 went outside and ate my sandwich. My uncle bought me a meal from my favorite fastfood place called Amwaj, or "The Wave". We sat on the fence just outside the airport hall, talking and eating. Finally the time came to leave, we hugged and I walked into the hall. Little did I know my plane would be late and I would have to wait another hour. On the plane I sat next to these Swedish Sudanese people. They made me realize that I don't want to have kids anytime soon. The child was around 6, either a genius or had attention deficit disorder or both. Throughout the plane ride he would ramble on in five differnt languages.
At Heathrow I missed my plane. I ended up waiting four hours for the next United flight. I didn't much care, but whiling away the time was a problem. Once clearing security at the boarding gate I sat down and listened to music. An airport official came up to me and asked for my passport. She asked me where I was coming from, what I was doing there, where my family is etc, that was the first time it happened to me, and I think I was a little offended. I had just been traveling for more than 24 hours without sleep, and I was just "out of it".
United seatings really are uncomfortable, I was in the middle seating, and in those seatings I was in the middle. I sat next to this rightwing catholic guy who kept saying hail mary on his rosary. That I liked, what I didn't like is when he got a newspaper "Right wing Catholics are Us" and started reading an article entitled "White Guilt and Islamic Terror." Underneath it was a picture of minarets of a mosque and the shadow of what I presumed to be the devil.
At Dulles we had to wait an hour for our luggage to be put on the baggage belt. Customs were friendly as usual. I was so happy to see my parents and brothers waiting for me. Its good to be back, but I feel so strange. Its going to take me a while to adjust. But its good to be home.

No comments: