Friday, August 11, 2006

The Souk and other Misadventures

Two days ago I went to souk al-arabi or the Arab Market. The trip was last minute, we left the house at 8pm and returned at 11pm. We bought some things for my aunt who was leaving to Qatar the day after. It reminded me of the souks I had been to in Damascus, Syria and Baalbek, Lebanon. It had a very north African, or Middle Eastern feel to it. There were open market stalls, mixed with more modern closed stores housed in the new mall.
I've become really good at bargaining because I bargain when I take rikshas or minibuses into town almost everyday, so shopping was kind of fun. I'm really going to be sad when southern Sudan and other parts decide to secede. What I love so much about Sudan is the diversity. Everyday when I ride the bus I people watch and I see so many amazing things and different ways of life on my way to and from university. Sudan really is the crossroads of so many cultures and traditions, every color of the rainbow. The country will never be the same if secession is chosen.

No comments: