Monday, July 24, 2006

Rahad Continued

I'm writing from Rahad, theres a tech genius in our team and he figured how to boot his computer to gprs for free. Right nbw he's my favorite person in the world. What was I saying before, so far we've covered seven schools we have three more to go. I'm the only female on the team at times its annoying because after we finish working they go off smoke sheesha, drink cofftea and observe females. I like a good Sudanese girl go back to the Nazir's house.
I've become a minicelebraty in town. Everyone knows my name is Lina the Khawajiya, or westerner. In fact in two days I'm supposed to give a talk about the projects findings, and what my life is like as a Sudanese American.
The project, the trip, life in the field has been bitter sweet. I've gotten to know everyone really well. For the most part I get a long with them. There's only one dude I absolutely can't stand, and most people on the team feel the same. You really get to know someone when they are outside they're comfort zone. I'm going to miss my team though, for they're a good bunch of guys.
Yesterday was an extremely bad day for me. First we forgot to tell a school that we were coming the next day, so they had prepared meals for us, and were waitng for us the whole morning and part of the afternoon. This was the poorest school in the area, when I think of the resources they spent on the meals I feel sick. The next thing that happened was a doctor from the state ministry of health called and basically insulted me and then hung up on me. He was supposed to work with us for a week, but we found a doctor in Rahad so we called and told him. He called to deny the phone call, to threaten me, and tell me that he wanted me to send back the malaria medicine (artesemine)and the microscopes that the ministry of health had given us. Its all good because one of my Sudanese supervisors is the director of the national schistosomiasis and malaria program, and Sudan is all about connections. I won't say the bastard didn't affect my day he basically ruined it.
Minor annoyances, but like funny occurences is that the director of education in Rahad keeps saying he's betrothed me to his nephew. Thats only after he figured out he's the same age as my father, he was hoping I might be his fourth wife.
I'm happy despite all the little hurdles and annoyances. I've learned how to go about doing field work in Sudan, and made some valuable connections. I dare say maybe even friends. Either way though I've come to the conclusion that I'm not a typical Sudanese and that perhaps thats ok. I wasn't meant to be that, and I most likely won't be marrying someone from my country. I've forgotten about the Irish Sufi, they're rare like leprechauns or gold pots at the end of rainbows.

1 comment:

Rasha said...

What ever happened to the "I am the most typical of my people" contest?