Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Old Friends

If anyone from the states saw me in Sudan they wouldn't recognize me, especially when I'm at the Institute. I wear long skirts, and a headscarf. I look like a hijabi. Its actually kind of amusing how clothe and cultural contexts changes the way people look. I met a friend of mine from my time at Beirut, and he didn't recognize me. I think I speak differently as well, but that is the way things go I guess.
I met a childhood friend of mine the other day. We grew up in Kenya together. He's lived in Sudan for five years and he's not exactly completely Sudanese but he's adapted. He works for a bank, and was talking about how difficult it is for him since Arabic is his second language. He said he bought grade 6 and7 Arabic grammar books so he could improve his language skills. So when his younger brother who was basically born and raised in Kenya asked about if it would be possible for him to eventually work in Sudan, my friend laughed. His younger brother can barely string a sentence in Arabic let alone read and write.
This trip so far has taught me three things about myself. One I'm not as Sudanese as I think, and two I can be very patient, and three I want to come back to Sudan. I came to this conclusion through my interaction with my peer group outside my family. There are times when people at the Institute will be talking to me, I understand the words, but there are little nuances and cultural intonings that go over my head.
There is something in the water or in the air, because there are subliminal messages everywhere to get married. I have a fear that I'll come back engaged or married without even realizing it. My family is doing formation of the mating/marriage dance I feel like they are planning in earnest to introduce me to eligible males. Sadly I'll have to disappoint them.

1 comment:

elle414 said...

LINA!!! i finally made myself an account so i can leave comments now. i hope you're taking lots of pictures of the little chinois children...and that you're finding interesting things in the poo you're collecting. miss you Bessie!