Monday, May 10, 2010

The Wedding of Abdou

Finally broke my two year sentence, arriving at the homeland for my maternal uncle's wedding. I admit I was a bit upset that it wasn't in the capital Khartoum, but in Nuhud, a town far, far away in the wilds of Kordofan.

On the plus side I'd get to see la famiglia, my uncles, aunts, great uncles, great aunts, cousins, and grandma. What was nice was that for the first time ever, I got to bypass customs, and immigration and pretend I was a corrupt Sudanese or Chinese business official sitting in the VIP lounge at the Khartoum International Airport.
Apparently this is the mainstay for the rest of the family, but somehow I was never afforded these luxuries.

We only spent a night in Khartoum, and then hightailed it to Obeid the next morning. We spent two days in Obeid with my aunt and her family. Then we all went to Nuhud.
I was pleasantly surprised to find that the road from Obeid to Nuhud was completed, um..10 years after the fact.

Nuhud was a mess. Apparently the wedding was the only show in town. Everyone showed up to the house every day, my grandma who has lived in Nuhud most of her life didn't recognize many of the people who showed up day after day.

All in all the wedding was beautiful. Bride danced in the tradition of Sudanese brides, and it was kind of old school tradtional, with a hint of modern. Almost romantic.

I didn't spend much time in Khartoum, wasn't able to see most of my friends, but I hung out in Obeid. Got to go Sikan Musuem, and the camel market, and I got to eat yummy camel's liver...raw.

No comments: