Tuesday, August 05, 2008

The Widow or the Fat Man

I'm trying to come up of reasons of why I so love my native country, but I'm grasping at straws. I guess I've been gone too long to remember. I'm listening to Phil Collins exalt the majesty of east Africa.
Yesterday those captured during the failed coup in May were sentenced to death by hanging. The most highly profiled prisoner is the half brother of Khalil Ibrahim, the head of the Justice and Equality Movement (JEM) which has emerged to be one of the most successful, and powerful Darfuri rebel groups.
I'm wondering when they will hang, or if Bashir will use them as bargaining chips to delay his own humiliating release for the warrant arrest for war crimes.
This isn't the worst though, perhaps there will be more outcries because the world is watching. But a decade or so ago, there was another failed coup, and those young soldiers were not given a trial. They were simply shot like dogs on the eve of Eid Al Fitr, at the end of the Holy month of Ramadhan. How is that for an Islamic government.
In other news, apparently another Sudanese was shot to death on the Egyptian border. His crime, he was trying to get to Israel.

No comments: